Women's lives awaken through change. Change can be so profound, it can make you feel lost. Writing your memoir helps you find yourself, often in a whole new way for a whole new life and legacy!
After 34 years of writing for other people and businesses, I'm writing my own story. I recently entered midlife, but instead of quietly easing into it, I got slammed up against a brick wall. Change touched every part of my life, but none more staggering than losing the love of my life and the family life we created. Nothing more heartbreaking than losing my career, my health, and my future story. All my life I had worked outside the lines of the blueprint provided by my painful childhood. I could make anything happen, even if it wasn't my truth. I was optimistic, positive, and determined to write beauty and joy into my life and legacy. When things spun out of control in midlife, I feared for my legacy. It had to be more noble and affirming than the account of recent events, which made me feel like a failure. As a writer, I knew the only way I could create the legacy I wanted was to write it.
Are you ready to design your legacy by writing (or revising)the story of your life?
- Do you want to rewrite the story of a transformational experience?
- Do you have ideas, story seeds, and memories that have meaning for you—but you aren’t sure what to do with them?
- Do you wonder whether you should write your family stories in memoir or fiction?
- Are you in the middle of a writing project, but can’t seem to finish it?
- Have you always wanted to write a book, but aren’t sure how?
Writing your story takes courage and skill development. Wherever you are in your writing journey, I can help you figure out how to tell your story and connect with your readers.
As the author of hundreds of works under someone else's byline and to promote other businesses, I know what it’s like to wrangle the writing process. After several years of painful transformation, I know what it's like to wrestle with finding your truth.
When working on a memoir, doubts and important concerns that all memoir writers must deal with arise.
- What will the family say about me writing a memoir?
- There are so many memories–how much do I include?
- What is the structure of my memoir?
- Will anyone else be interested in my story?
- Are there any rules and guidelines for memoir?
These questions need answers for you to proceed in writing your memoir and I can help! To stay focused and learn new skills, you need:
- Help in deciding the focus and sub-genre of your memoir–is it travel, survival, healing, or a spiritual memoir?
- To get clear on what your story is about—the themes and topics that comprise the arc of your story.
- Feedback to develop your skills—story structure, scenes, dialogue, character development, tone, and voice.
- Help with navigating the writing world, from writing and editing to publishing and marketing.
Whether you have the seed of your story or are ready for feedback on your work, I can help you develop your writing and learn the skills that can help you get your book published.